Founded in 1935, SFMOMA was the first museum on the West Coast devoted to modern and contemporary art. From the outset, the museum has championed the most innovative and challenging art of its time, and we continue to exhibit and collect work by both modern masters and younger, less-established artists. By embracing the challenge of the new and unexpected, we hope to encourage fresh ways of seeing, thinking, and engaging with the world. SFMOMA's internship program offers insight into the operations of one of the country's leading art museums and allows interns to gain valuable hands-on experience.
The department of Contemporary Art was established in June 2017 as an interdisciplinary department focusing on art made by living artists since 1990. The department consists of one administrative assistant, one assistant curator, and one full curator who is the head of the department. Contemporary Art at SFMOMA works closely with the Painting and Sculpture, Media Arts, Photography, Architecture and Design, and Education and Public Dialogue departments to develop its collection, exhibitions, and programs.
Full time, starting Monday, June 10, 2019 - Friday, August 16, 2019
- Develop research skills; gather exhibition-related materials
- Support research on international contemporary artists for an exhibition in development
- Learn about working in a large arts organization
- Exposure to information useful for further academic study in Contemporary Art, Art History, Art Education, Cultural Studies and related fields
Under the supervision of the assistant curator of Contemporary Art, the intern will:
- Compile, collect, and organize materials including: portfolios, exhibition history, bibliographic materials (in print and online) by and about artists
- Conduct online, library, and archival research
- Review and produce written materials for internal use
- Support curatorial team as needed
The curatorial intern will support all aspects of preparation—including research, logistics, and planning—for a major exhibition of new and recent work by living artists opening October 2019. S/he will work closely with the assistant curator to develop, review, and consolidate materials; organize images and publication materials; update artist files and exhibition checklists. S/he will also conduct research for international contemporary accessions, as needed
- Graduate student in Contemporary Art, Art History, Curatorial Studies, or Cultural/Ethnic Studies.
- Excellent writing and research skills including professional correspondence, academic writing with bibliographic citations, and attention to detail
- Self-motivated, organized, communicates well Knowledge of PC environments, PowerPoint, Excel, MS Word, and other basic computer skills
- Academic research assistant, museum experience, or experience working for a non-profit arts organization
- Demonstrated focus on international contemporary art
- Knowledgeable about museum information systems and software used at SFMOMA
- Additional skills such as knowledge of design or photo editing software
- One academic writing sample (minimum 8, maximum 30 pages) with citations included
- Intern Application on SnapHire
- Cover letter stating the department(s) (up to three areas) you are interested in. Describe the experience you bring to these particular areas.
- Statement of purpose: No more than one page, describing why you are interested in museum or nonprofit work, your reasons for applying to SFMOMA, and your goals for the internship.
- Two Letters of recommendation from a college professor or former employer
- College transcript: Transcripts can be unofficial, but need to be readable.
- Availability for an in-person interview starting in early April. Skype and phone interviews will be considered for students who are abroad or far from California.
We are happy to work with your educational institution to provide credit for this internship.
To learn more about our internship opportunities, visit the Internships Section of our website at https://www.sfmoma.org/join-the-team/internship-program/
Please apply online for an internship opportunity.