Founded in 1935, SFMOMA was the first museum on the West Coast devoted to modern and contemporary art. From the outset, the museum has championed the most innovative and challenging art of its time, and we continue to exhibit and collect work by both modern masters and younger, less-established artists. By embracing the challenge of the new and unexpected, we hope to encourage fresh ways of seeing, thinking, and engaging with the world. SFMOMA's internship program offers insight into the operations of one of the country's leading art museums and allows interns to gain valuable hands-on experience.
The Interpretive Media team is part of the Content Strategy and Digital Engagement group at SFMOMA. Offering rich-media resources to the museum's visitors since 1995, we are a leader among museums in the development of interactive educational programs and media. Our multi-faceted approach ranges from the digital to the analog, from on-site to online. We supplement traditional offerings, such as exhibition brochures and wall texts, with a portfolio of programs including video interviews with artists, content within the SFMOMA App, stories published through in-museum interpretive galleries, the games program PlaySFMOMA, and the podcast series Raw Material.
This internship is an excellent opportunity to join a spirited-filled team and gain multi-faceted, hands-on experience in content development and production.
Full time, starting Monday, June 10, 2019 - Friday, August 16, 2019
- The intern will gain:
- Experience researching and communicating through media about artworks and artists in an educational context, with the public in mind and not only academia
- First-hand knowledge of the development, production and evaluation of a museum's educational resources, from the analog to the digital
- Understanding of user experience design and digital storytelling for web and in-gallery experiences
- This internship will prepare the candidate for any research or production position in a museum, gallery, or journalism context - emphasis is on short-form media-based materials and engagement strategies about modern and contemporary art, and the physical and intellectual spaces of the museum
- The intern will contribute to the development of new content to be deployed on our various digital platforms
- Student in multimedia, film/media studies, museum studies, art history or journalism
- Strong research and writing skills
- Comfort interfacing with program collaborators and the public
- Ability to meet deadlines and keen attention to detail
- Independent thinking and problem-solving, while being a hands-on team player
- Knowledge of Macintosh OS environment, Creative Suite programs, and MSOffice helpful
Under the supervision of the Interim Assistant Director of Interpretive Media, the intern will:
- Research onsite visitor interpretation strategies and interactive, experiential design for museums.
- Assist in the development, planning and execution of onsite interpretive resources in SFMOMA.
- Research SFMOMA artist and artwork files, oral history transcripts, and online resources, to assist in the preparation of content for publishing
- Research and image gathering for use in multimedia content, which includes research into living artists and artist estates regarding permission to use footage and images in Interpretive Media programs
- Working with Interpretive Media staff, assist in qualitative and quantitative analyses of existing media, platforms, spaces, and content streams.
- Intern Application on SnapHire
- Cover letter stating the department(s) (up to three areas) you are interested in. Describe the experience you bring to these particular areas.
- Statement of purpose: No more than one page, describing why you are interested in museum or nonprofit work, your reasons for applying to SFMOMA, and your goals for the internship.
- Two Letters of recommendation from a college professor or former employer
- College transcript: Transcripts can be unofficial, but need to be readable.
- Availability for an in-person interview starting in early April. Skype and phone interviews will be considered for students who are abroad or far from California.
We are happy to work with your educational institution to provide credit for this internship
To learn more about our internship opportunities, visit the Internships Section of our website at https://www.sfmoma.org/join-the-team/internship-program/
Please apply online for an internship opportunity.