Art transforms lives. It provokes us to think, to express, to explore our own creativity, to envision new possibilities. SFMOMA expanded the museum to provide a better experience for our visitors and a better home for our expanding collections, including the SFMOMA collection and the Fisher Collection, one of the finest collections of contemporary art in the world. The new SFMOMA, designed in collaboration with the architecture firm Snøhetta, opened May 14th 2016. With this project, we are transforming not just the museum's physical presence, but also our contributions to the community, enhancing SFMOMA's role as a place for learning, inspiration, and interaction for visitors from the Bay Area and beyond. We are making SFMOMA a magnet for contemporary art and for the audiences who will engage with it.
The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art's award-winning design team is seeking an inspired and versatile designer to engage our audiences through visually rich and compelling visual graphics for the 3D environment, digital platforms, and print.
This position is a member of a design team that plays an instrumental role in translating the vision of our expanded institution into a vibrant and cohesive brand.
From concept to implementation, your approach is holistic and inspiring. You love a challenge, have an eye for detail, work well in a team, and pride yourself on your ability to balance aesthetics, innovation, and versatility.
- Conceptualize and design communications that support museum initiatives and increase audience engagement through a range of media, including print communications, environmental graphics, outdoor media, mobile and online media, print and digital publications, e-communications, and in-gallery digital resources.
- Develop creative design solutions, applying a finely tuned sense of typography to all projects. Demonstrate an ability to carry concepts through a series of related projects and/or subsequent iterations, and the capacity to design materials and experiences that contribute to a cohesive and vibrant brand.
- Meet with client departments to plan the scope and schedule for individual projects; communicate deadlines, schedules, and production information to all necessary museum departments; attend project meetings as a representative of the SFMOMA Design Studio.
- Schedule, bid, produce and deliver projects within established budgets, on time, while maintaining museum quality standards. Ability to manage time appropriately, prioritizing projects within a moderate to heavy workload.
- When necessary, review proofs, supervise pre-press production, and attend press checks when necessary. Communicate production issues affecting design, schedule, or budget to supervisor (and internal client, if appropriate).
- After establishing design, production, and budget parameters for various ongoing projects with supervisor and client(s), independently manage all aspects of these projects, from implementation to delivery.
- Undergraduate degree in design or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of one to five years experience in a design office or equivalent.
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite.
- Demonstrated experience designing for responsive web and print.
- Solid understanding of branding, visual design principles, typography.
- Thorough understanding of print and digital production, competitive bidding, project management, and signage production; familiarity with video editing and animation a plus.
- Understanding of user interface, user experience and information architecture, and user testing
- Knowledge of implementation and integration with back-end systems a plus.
- Familiarity with accessibility standards and concepts of responsive design.
To apply you will need an online portfolio and a cover letter.
This is a union position subject to the provisions of the collective bargaining agreement.
POSITION: Temporary Designer
DEPARTMNET: Design Studio
DIVISION: Content Strategy and Digital Engagement
SUPERVISOR: Art Director
SCHEDULE: Full time: 35 hours/week
PAY RATE: $25.91/hour (starting rate)
If you are already a paid SFMOMA employee and are interested in applying for the above position, please apply directly through the website by the closing date.