Art transforms lives. It provokes us to think, to express, to explore our own creativity, to envision new possibilities. SFMOMA expanded the museum to provide a better experience for our visitors and a better home for our expanding collections, including the SFMOMA collection and the Fisher Collection, one of the finest collections of contemporary art in the world. The new SFMOMA, designed in collaboration with the architecture firm Snøhetta, opened May 14th 2016. With this project, we are transforming not just the museum's physical presence, but also our contributions to the community, enhancing SFMOMA's role as a place for learning, inspiration, and interaction for visitors from the Bay Area and beyond. We are making SFMOMA a magnet for contemporary art and for the audiences who will engage with it.
The San Francisco Bay Area is the leading center of innovation and collaboration in the world, where conventional wisdom and traditional hierarchies are challenged, technology is advanced, and new ideas are embraced daily. SFMOMA is setting a new standard for what it means to be a contemporary art museum, while deepening our commitment to our community.
We seek a creative and effective email marketing manager, who is looking for a mission-driven opportunity. Join us.
This role will be responsible for managing and optimizing SFMOMA's email marketing program, with the ultimate goal of reaching attendance and revenue goals. The Email Marketing Manager will help drive strategy and be responsible to onboard, retain, build loyalty and increase lifetime value by engaging subscribers with personalized, targeted, and relevant marketing during member/visitor lifecycles.
The ideal candidate will be a creative and dynamic writer who brings an analytical approach to content creation and has experience building and deploying emails within a CRM. This candidate is able to blend content optimization, audience targeting, and execution tactics, to maximize the effectiveness of our email communications, while proactively identifying opportunities to deepen loyalty and engagement.
- This position is part of the Marketing + Communications team, reporting to the Associate Director of Social Media + Content Marketing. This position is supported by a Marketing Associate.
The Email Marketing Manager will manage and optimize SFMOMA's email content, cadence, and segmentation strategy for all promotional, triggered, and transactional emails. Core job functions include:
- Develop lifecycle marketing strategies that encompass email, push, SMS, and referral programs with the goal of increasing engagement, attendance and revenue.
- Manage and own engagement-focused email communications, including content creation, analysis, and reporting.
- Lead campaign execution from creative kickoff to deployment, including managing project timelines, overseeing creative development and web production, performing QA and campaign monitoring, and developing comprehensive campaign reporting.
- Develop email communication strategy to identify and outline approach to increase B2C customer acquisition, engagement, retention and growth.
- Build email acquisition plan to grow our email list and maintain optimal engagement metrics, while creating segmented and personalized campaigns to increases engagement and visits.
- Improve our email program through optimization and testing, including B2B opportunities.
- Develop strategies for integrating dynamic content into emails and landing pages to boost conversion metrics.
- Assist in meeting revenue and attendance goals through the execution and optimization of the CRM Lifecycle and Transactional email programs.
- Find email marketing coverage gaps and design programs to address them with the goal of increasing leads and/or improving database quality.
- Write cohesive, organized, and logical creative briefs for campaigns.
- Partner with creative, content and CRM teams to optimize content.
- Write and edit compelling content that communicates, and creates excitement for, a variety of SFMOMA programs, exhibitions, membership initiaitves, fundraising, events, and other activities,
- Design and recommend frameworks for email best practices across SEM and with internal colleagues.
- Manage email communication calendar and work closely with internal stakeholders and partners to ensure full end-to-end execution of all deliverables.
- Responsible for campaign execution including building of audiences, links, segmentation, and content.
- Work with marketing team, and other internal stakeholders, to build and execute campaigns across email, push notification, SMS and in-app marketing.
- Manage email campaigns using our ESP (currently Wordfly) including setup, segmentation, testing, deployment, and reporting.
- Develop transactional and promotional email content that is smart and engaging while supporting institutional goals and objectives.
- Manage the Marketing Associate.
- Partner with CRM team to uncover user insights, create the lifecycle roadmap and execute a rigorous A/B testing agenda to enhance campaign effectiveness.
- Build and maintain documentation around best practice, lifecycle campaigns, test results and processes.
- Establish key metrics, create review cycle, and provide insights on customer intelligence.
- Ongoing archiving, reporting and optimization.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree in marketing or related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
- 3-5 years of email or lifecycle marketing — including demonstrated experience executing, managing and reporting on campaigns using ESP, content management and analytics systems — required.
- Demonstrated understanding of customer journey and lifecycles. Experience working with email marketing and marketing automation platforms required.
- Prior success with lead nurturing programs, triggered emails, and marketing automation efforts that have demonstrably improved conversion and engagement.
- Understand the requirements for CAN-SPAM compliance as well as the nuances of email compliance internationally in various regulatory environments (e.g., GDPR or CASL)
- Exemplary project management skills (from ideation to planning to routing to post-mortems) and familiarity with project management software such as Asana or Basecamp.
- Previous experience in marketing at an arts or cultural institution a plus, but not required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strategy and data driven individual with a solid understanding of segmentation principles, database marketing, optimization, A/B and multivariate testing and reporting on results.
- Experience managing clients either internally or in an agency environment
- Results-driven marketer with proven quantitative and analytical skills; should be extremely comfortable with Excel (functions, pivots, etc.) and reporting tools like Tableau. SQL skills a plus.
- Excellent writing skills with a knack for online communications and crafting messaging for multiple, specific audiences.
- Experience training other professionals in email marketing platforms and strategies and translating concepts to non-technical audiences
- Ability to write HTML and CSS from scratch to get things done if necessary
- Eye for engaging content, user flow & visual design.
- Passion for CRM and user engagement - prior experience with Tessitura a plus.
- Problem-solving skills with focus on efficient execution while remaining cognizant of long-term strategic goals.
- Ability to think creatively and constantly test new ideas.
- Comfortable identifying and prioritizing opportunities.
- Must exhibit superb verbal and written communication skills with a high degree of comfort interpreting results and communicating insights effectively.
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of SFMOMA's "voice" as it pertains to external communications, and be able to deploy it creatively and smartly across platforms
- Must be collaborative, cross-functional and comfortable partnering with a variety of teams.
- Passion about SFMOMA's mission
Physical demands: Combination of sedentary and active work. Must have an active/daily presence in the public spaces of the museum to inspect work visually and have face-to-face communication with front line staff and visitors.
Special environmental factors: Public and office environment. Work schedule includes regular travel, possibly extensive; occasional evenings and weekends.
POSITION: Email Marketing Manager
DEPARTMENT: Marketing + Communications
SUPERVISOR: Associate Director of Social Media + Content Marketing
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.