Art transforms lives. It provokes us to think, to express, to explore our own creativity, to envision new possibilities. SFMOMA expanded the museum to provide a better experience for our visitors and a better home for our expanding collections, including the SFMOMA collection and the Fisher Collection, one of the finest collections of contemporary art in the world. The new SFMOMA, designed in collaboration with the architecture firm Snøhetta, opened May 14, 2016. With this project, we are transforming not just the museum's physical presence, but also our contributions to the community, enhancing SFMOMA's role as a place for learning, inspiration, and interaction for visitors from the Bay Area and beyond. We are making SFMOMA a magnet for contemporary art and for the audiences who will engage with it.
The Assistant Director of Enterprise Events, Fundraising Events (ADFE) is member of the Enterprise Events team in the Development department with San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA). The ADFE is responsible for ensuring a strategic and robust fundraising events program.
Reporting to the Director of Enterprise Events, the ADFE works effectively across the External Relations division and with the Curatorial, Content Strategy & Digital Engagement, and Finance & Administration teams to drive a comprehensive fundraising event strategy. The ADFE plays a leadership role as part of the efficient, cross-functional team responsible for the successful delivery of donor, member, prospect, rental and other internal and external special events.
- Leads strategic planning and execution of SFMOMA's annual fundraising events that net more than $2 million to benefit the museum, such as the Modern Ball, Art Bash, Contemporary Vision Award Dinner and SFMOMA benefit events for the FOG Design+Art Preview Gala.
- Collaborates with Director of Enterprise Events and Assistant Director of Enterprise Events, Donor Events on strategic department planning.
- Partners with the Director of Enterprise Events in the management of volunteer committees, building productive relationships with museum donors and SFMOMA's executive leadership.Leads production for all fundraising events to ensure successful interface between external event vendors and internal teams and departments including Operations, Finance and Administration, Registration, Exhibitions and Curatorial.
- Manages event preparation, briefs and debriefs with the museum's executive leadership, Trustees and other key internal and external stakeholders.
- Communicates effectively and in a timely way with stakeholders from various museum departments to create opportunities for collaboration.
- Partners with Corporate team to execute event corporate sponsorship, including but not limited producing launch parties and guiding event activation strategies.
- Drives event production workflow, communications and processes ensuring success; duties such as though not limited to:
- Oversees ticketing processes for fundraising events.
- Plans the work of fundraising event staff, including volunteers, in all phases of the events program.
- Oversees event website development and, when required, online auction components.
- Develops and oversees revenue and expense budgets for fundraising events.
- Provides oversight and guidance of invitation list strategies and RSVP management processes
- Manages vendor relationships, including Requests for Proposals, contract negotiations, execution and fulfillment.
- Evaluates event processes and systems; identifies areas of success and opportunities for improvements and writes summary report.
- Maintains thorough and consistent event records.
- Works in close collaboration with colleagues in other Development program areas and staff throughout the Museum to ensure coordinated strategies and clear communications related to Enterprise Events.
- Assists with stewardship and rental events as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Training: BA Degree, or equivalent work experience.
Work Experience: Minimum of five (5) years' experience in fund development, special events and volunteer management, with at least three of those years in an Arts or a non-profit cultural organization.
Skills and abilities:
- Strong, positive leadership, project management and organizational experience.
- Ability to work successfully with a wide variety of SFMOMA staff and stakeholders such as Trustees, artists, donors, supervisors, peers, direct reports and consultants and with external event vendors.
- Proven success managing complex projects and events from initial planning phase to completion and evaluation, including the ability to build consensus among event team members and balance multiple concurrent priorities.
- Excellent time management to effectively meet agreed upon deadlines.
- Strong inter-personal communications skills and a team approach and workstyle.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Supervisory experience in directing a variety of event production members such as office staff, volunteers, and vendors.
- Existing vendor relationships and work experience with donors and curatorial staff preferred.
Physical demands: Some lifting may be required.
Special Environmental Factors: Close office and storage working conditions. Willingness to work flexible hours; including some evenings and weekend hours required.
POSITION: Assistant Director of Enterprise Events, Fundraising Events
SUPERVISOR: Director of Enterprise Events
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.