Art transforms lives. It provokes us to think, to express, to explore our own creativity, to envision new possibilities. SFMOMA expanded the museum to provide a better experience for our visitors and a better home for our expanding collections, including the SFMOMA collection and the Fisher Collection, one of the finest collections of contemporary art in the world. The new SFMOMA, designed in collaboration with the architecture firm Snøhetta, opened May 14 2016. With this project, we are transforming not just the museum's physical presence, but also our contributions to the community, enhancing SFMOMA's role as a place for learning, inspiration, and interaction for visitors from the Bay Area and beyond. We are making SFMOMA a magnet for contemporary art and for the audiences who will engage with it.
The Associate Director, Foundation and Government Relations is responsible for directing the Museum's efforts to secure funding from foundation and government sources for annual support, exhibitions, education programs, and other projects. The position supervises the Manager, Foundation and Government Relations.
- Oversees and ensures the success of the foundation and government program.
- Serves as primary museum contact for major state, regional, and national funders.
- Develops strategic plans to maximize revenue and achieve goals.
- Recommends goals for foundation and government contributions; monitors income reports related to analysis of status toward annual goals.
- Produces sophisticated funding proposals in coordination with Manager of Foundation and Government Relations, curators, Museum Director, and program coordinators as needed.
- Possesses superior oral and written communications skills and careful attention to detail.
- Researches and identifies funding needs and potential sources of foundation and government support.
- Responsible for thorough, thoughtful stewardship of foundation and government portfolio through correspondence, events, recognition, reporting and other.
- Monitors, writes letters of requests, and reports on endowment fund activity.
- Participates in ongoing stewardship and reporting for foundation and government campaign donors.
- Oversees development of budgets, bios, meeting briefs, memos and other essential program management.
- Monitors foundation and government funding community trends and strategies.
- Participates in SFMOMA's government advocacy efforts.
- Works collaboratively and effectively with colleagues in all areas of the museum.
- Has high computer proficiency, including experience with Tessitura database and Microsoft Office Suite.
- As a senior member of the Development Department, performs other special projects as requested by supervisor.
Education and Training: Bachelor's degree with major in Business Administration, Art History, or related discipline.
Work Experience: Minimum five (5) years' experience managing successful fundraising program. The candidate must have worked in a leadership role with regional, state and national funders. Demonstrated track record of setting and achieving revenue goals. Experience supervising support staff.
Skills and Abilities: Excellent written, verbal and organizational skills. Knowledge and interest in art. Knowledge of local and national funders. Knowledge of Tessitura database.
Physical Demands: None
Special Environmental Factors: Close office setting
POSITION TITLE: Associate Director, Foundation and Government Relations
SUPERVISOR: Director, Institutional Giving
SCHEDULE: Full time
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.